NolaVie Creative Writing Competition
NolaVie Creative Writing Competition
Entries are now being accepted for NolaVie's Writing Competition. Entrants may submit a maximum of five original pieces of writing in three categories: short fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry.
Each writing piece will be judged by Creative Writing Professor Melissa Dickey and NolaVie staff on its ability to convey a unique aspect of life in New Orleans.
PRIZES: $250 cash for the winning creative non-fiction piece, $150 cash for the winning fiction piece, and $150 cash for the winning poetry piece. Both winners and runners-up will be invited to read their works at a special reading at Octavia Books, and have their work published on Nola.com.
March 28, 2011. (Deadline extended to April 4th, 10PM CST.)
There's no fee to submit.
COMPETITION NOW CLOSED
You may enter up to five individual pieces of writing in each of the following categories:
- Short Fiction: 5,000 words recommended maximum.
- Non-fiction: 5,000 words recommended maximum.
- Poetry: 60 lines recommended maximum.
Preparing Your Entry:
- All writing pieces must be submitted in PDF, Microsoft Word, or Plain Text format.
- Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished* and unproduced, not accepted by any other publisher or producer at the time of submission. NolaVie retains one-time publication rights to the Grand Prize and First Place winning entries in each category to be published in a NolaVie publication.
- All entries must be typed. Poems may be either double- or single-spaced; all other manuscripts must be double-spaced. Your name, address, phone number and competition category must appear in the upper left-hand corner of the first page—otherwise your entry is disqualified.
- BE SURE OF YOUR WORD COUNT! Entries exceeding the word or line limits will be disqualified.
Judging and Notification
- Every entry will be read by the judges. Judges' decisions are final. Judges reserve the right to re-categorize entries.
- Entries must be uploaded and sent by April 4, 2011. We cannot return submitted manuscripts so keep a copy for your records.
- The following are not permitted to enter the contest: employees of NolaVie.
- Top award winners will be notified before APRIL 14, 2011. The top 3 winners in each category will be listed on Nola.com/nolavie. All winners will be listed in the NolaVie Competition Recap and at www.nolavie.com sometime mid-april. Prizes/awards certificates will be mailed by May, 2011.
Q: Is it okay to have illustration pictures on the cover?
A: Please send the text only
Q: If there is a word count, how many words per page am I allowed?
Q: Is a particular typeface or print size required?
Q: Are pen names allowed?
Pen names are fine. Write your pen name on all forms etc. so there are no mistakes on credits. Please be advised that we only need your real name if you are chosen as a winner (in order to issue prizes).
Q: What if I am not a New Orleans resident?
The NolaVie writing competition is open to non-New Orleans residents as well.
Q: Is there an age limit for entrants?
Q: What if I wanted to submit only part of my novel into the competition ( to stay with in the maximum number of words)?
If you submit a portion of a novel please understand that it will be judged as a complete story, not part of another work, so it needs to a complete story in and of itself.
Q: Can the same title be entered in multiple categories?
No, it can't.
Q: When will winners be notified?
Top award winners will be notified by mail or email before April 14, 2011. The top 3 winners in each category will be listed in May of 2011.
Please review the NolaVie facts page. For additional questions, contact NolaVie at email [email protected].