Nola Live Music Letter
After nearly a month off, I hope you find the return of this letter informative and as the busy fall concert schedule looms just around the corner (and football season taboot taboot), perhaps there's a thing or two you haven't read to get excited about. I got pretty bogged down in the slow daze of summer and hyped up in the excitement of The Baker's Dozen up in NYC (and on couch tour) but we're arriving at a great time for new releases (Grizzly Bear this Friday, The War On Drugs on 8/25, LCD Soundsystem on 9/1 and Gregg Allman's final album on 9/8 to name a few) and quickly going from not having many weekly live music options to having too many to fit in. Check out the refreshed calendars below, things are about to go down in the Big Easy.
For a more comprehensive local listing of concerts, check out WWOZ's Livewire. Have a great week.
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.
- Steelism - ism // RIYL: steel guitar, cinematic country boogie
- Your Song Is Good - Extended // RIYL: Todd Terje, Poolside, Maritime
- Poolside - Heat // RIYL: Pools, summer, driving on the highway, Holy Ghost!, War
- Happyness - Write In // RIYL: Wilco, bands that sound a lot like Wilco but that's ok b/c this is a really good record and Wilco is a really great band. Seriously, they sound a lot like Wilco.
- Slowdive - Slowdive // RIYL: shoegazing, Ride, Spiritualized
Brick + Mortar with The Moms at Gasa Gasa (8/16)
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony with Amanda Ducorbier at Tipitina's (8/17)
Eyehategod, Negative Approach at Southport Hall (8/18)
Johnny Sketch & The Dirty Notes + Sonic Bloom (8/18)
Lost Bayou Ramblers with Motel Radio at Tipitina's (8/19)
Musiq Soulchild at Saenger Theatre (8/19)
Brewsiana with Dash Rip Rock, Jonathon Boogie Long, Where Y'acht and DJ Otto at House of Blues (8/19)
Tower of Power with DJ Soul Sister at House of Blues (8/20)
Cha Wa at Maple Leaf Bar (8/20)
Hot 8 Brass Band at Howlin' Wolf Den (8/20)