London monuments pop up in NOLA
Look for Big Ben in Lafayette Square Friday.
OK, not the real Big Ben. But in a London/New Orleans icon exchange, six British landmarks will take up temporary residence at six local landmark locations to celebrate the new non-stop British Airways flight taking wing March 27 from the Big Easy to Big Ben’s home city.
The sculptures will be on view between St. Patrick’s Day (that’s Friday) and April 2, in the following locations:
- Big Ben at Lafayette Square
- Tower Bridge at Jackson Square
- The Union Jack at Armstrong Airport
- A royal guardsman at the Contemporary Arts Center
- A bagpiper on the Moonwalk near the Steamboat Natchez
- And the queen herself at Carousel Gardens in City Park
Each larger-than-life sculpture renders an aspect of the Empire in cut-out silhouette, leaving NOLA visible in the background. Snap a selfie with one and post it on social media with the hashtag #BAlovesNOLA and you’ll be entered for a chance to win two round-trip tickets on the new flight.
The art expo is sponsored by British Airways and VisitBritain, and each item will be unveiled with visitors on hand from across the pond.
Renee Peck is editor of NolaVie. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.